Thursday, February 3, 2011

2/3/11

All of a sudden, I found myself thinking sociologically when I was building a snow hill on Thursday. My family, some neighborhood friends and I decided to build a snow hill over the weekend, and I noticed there were some challenges along the way. Since there were many people doing one thing things did not go too smoothly at times. For example, while some were adding snow to the hill some were sliding down it, destroying the hill. Another conflict that occurred was that there weren't enough shovels for everyone so some people at the beginning were doing more work than others.
I was able to connect this experience with the puzzle activity and the Conflict Theory. The way that there was many people doing one single thing reminded me of the group of people trying to form a puzzle. The Conflict Theory applies because there was things getting in the way of both, trying to build a snow hill and forming a puzzle. In both activities there were many ideas going on at one time, which created made things more complicated at times. From both if these experiences I concluded that the solutions to the conflicts, from lack of supplies, too many hands, too many ideas and confusion were similar for both. We all had to simple accept each others ideas, and take turns, making everyone's jobs easy and equal. In the puzzle strategies from different people were used, and in the snow hill everyone had an equal job.

1 comment:

  1. You could also put the functionalist perspective to work here in that you can look at how each individual contributed to the work effort.

    PS How big did your snow hill get?

    ReplyDelete