Thursday, February 24, 2011

All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I was walking to my English class. I noticed that my senior class mates kept on complaining about how freshman are so annoying, and that they hate school and all sorts of complaining. Immediately when I heard this I was able to classify the seniors and freshmen in  groups. I could see how based one each of their behaviors I could tell so much about them. They each can be placed in different groups that we talked about in my sociology class, depending from which view we see things by.

For example, from the senior's view the freshmen are consider an out-group because they are viewed as immature, dumb, and annoying kids. It can be that the seniors, as the in-group, bug the young ones because they feel like they are acting the way they are supposed to, which is conformity. This makes them all be in a coercion group because is like seniors force one another to act superior towards those freshmen. When the freshmen are told to shut-up in the hall way by seniors they respond by getting louder, laughing and continuing doing their own thing. To me this shows that they do not care about what others think and they feel like they are at the top, so they are the in-group now. The way that the freshmen stood up to those seniors, showed cooperation. Overall, this competition between grades, which is unnecessary, shows conflict within the seniors and freshmen.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done! Depending on who you talk to, the type of group can definately change...interesting point!

    ReplyDelete