Thursday, February 17, 2011

All of a sudden, I found myself thinking sociologically when I was at the mall with my friends. I began to notice that I have different types of friends all throughout school and out. I could tell right away which group I enjoyed being with the most, and those that I chose just to be far from. At the mall I was having fun, and began to think of how my true, close friends are the right ones to be with. Yet I found myself having a relationship with other people, even though it was not as great. I knew from here that everyone has many groups he or she belongs to, but more importantly a group that they actually like.
All of the group arrangements within me and my friends connected very well with the different social groups I learned in sociology class. When ever I was with my closest friends, or with family I knew they were my primary groups. This was because when ever I was with them I saw all of the characteristics that a primary group holds. That would include being helpful to one another, caring and relatively small. In the other hand those distant friends of mine, which are in school or even outside of school, are my somewhat of a reference group. I consider them this because they are not close to me, there can be a variety of them, and the only reason we speak is because we are in the same class. This group is nothing like my family or close friends, because with them we have so many things in common that we have fun and respect each other, which makes them fall as an interest group.

1 comment:

  1. Great application of group terms! I'm glad you have a primary group as part of your life :)

    ReplyDelete