Thursday, March 17, 2011

All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I was talking to my aunt. We were talking about her marriage, which was with a white man and how they had to adapt to one in another in some things. It was funny because they came from different cultures so food, religion, parties and much more are different. She began telling me how he sometimes felt a little weird in the beginning of their marriage, because he was the only white person usually at parties. The good thing is that there was really no negative opinions from either of them towards each other, or counterculture. the different cultures reminded me of some terms in sociology class.
When I found out they were getting married, my uncle told me that he accepted our culture even though he still had not adapted himself to our culture.This would be making his culture the subculture. Even though my uncle's side was use to different things from us like; their parties are usually at noon, eat different food etc., there was no culture clash. His family and our family have been able to get along with each other, and actually have been finding it fun to try to learn from different cultures, so no fighting is seen. The interaction between the different cultures have brought ethnocentrism. We have made comments to each other like you guys are obsessed with beans, and you guys have parties too early and much more.   

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad that some ethnocentric thinking has come up between your two families, but I'mglad that it seems like you all are able to get along well :)

    ReplyDelete