Thursday, March 3, 2011

All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when, I went to a concert with my friend. I knew the attitude she carried during school and it was calm, and serious most of the time. Then the event came along and it was this friend of mine, another close friend and me hanging out only. Wow, I could not believe how long I had known this person for and until now I found out their true self. My friend's attitude changes reminded me right away of many terms I learned in sociology class.
The way my friend acted the way others expected her to in class, was a norm. She told me she was quiet because she was expected to be chill at school, as in not being crazy and getting or of hand.This is like the emergent norm theory, because my friend's attitude and actions in school were affected by the public's expectations.More over, at the concert she was more cheery, open and more social. I could tell she felt like in a whole new environment because she said she could be herself any where outside of school. I thought it was cool because there at the concert I connected with two more theories learned in class. One of them was the contagion theory, due to my other friend getting crazy as well like the one I am talking about. This connects because their attitudes are being affected by one another and by the audience as well. This sounds like a domino affect, which is what I defined contagion theory as. Lastly, the way that people at the show were there because they like the artist as well was showing the convergence theory, which is people coming together due to a common interest.
.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect examples of crowd theories! I hope the concert was fun!

    ReplyDelete