Thursday, March 24, 2011

All of a sudden I found myself thinking sociologically when I was watching a recording of traditional dances on television. I  was so amazed at the variation of dances that exist in the world. There was dances from different parts of Mexico, dances from down in South America, Spain and many more. I was able to connect the variations with the culture unit in my sociology class. Before I knew it I had at least included about five different words form class and applied them to life. 
For example, when I saw a dance that required the people to wear masks, I thought that was strangely different. My thoughts towards that cultural dance made me sound ethnocentric . The universal is something that cultures have a like, but that are done differently. In this case dancing is a part of all of these counties culture although, they each had something unique about them. In some there was a lot of jumping, or turning, and acting, or tying a ribbon into a bow etc. To some people a jump in a dance is a norm, and to another culture a jump can be breaking a norm. The differences among the dances is what made the whole show more intereseting to watch.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job recognizing dance as a cultural universal. Especially if you think of how kids dance at prom or other school dances....definately different than a South American tribal dance :)

    ReplyDelete